April 23, 2018
READ: 2 Kings 4:8-17
Thou hast bought me no sweet cane with money, neither hast thou filled me with the fat of thy sacrifices...
There are some important points to glean from the story of Elisha and the Shunamite woman.
1. She took a quality decision to honour the anointed.
2. She began to honour the anointed at a lower level. This lower level was the honour she bestowed on him by giving him bread and food.
3. The Shunamite woman moved to a much higher level of honouring the anointed by building a house for him and by furnishing it. She honoured him at this highest level by making his life comfortable.
4. The power of God on Elisha was provoked after he had received the honour from this woman. Elisha did not ask about the woman’s needs when he was eating her bread. He only asked about her needs when she built the room and he stayed in the room enjoying the bed, the table, the chair and the candle that she had made for him.
5. The Shunamite woman received the great blessing of pregnancy, even though her husband was an old man. There was no river too wide, no mountain high and no distance too high for God’s power after the anointing had been honoured.
The great prophet Isaiah speaks forth the word of the Lord concerning the honour of the anointed. He gives details about the honour that he is expecting. This great passage reveals that God expects to be honoured substantially: Isaiah 43:22-24.