I am sharing with you in this season about hearing the voice of God. One of the main things that helps us hear the voice of God is to eliminate other voices. Eliminating other voices is a master key to hearing the voice of God. That is why 1 Corinthians 14:10 says, “there are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification” (1 Corinthians 14:10). Sometimes to hear the voice of God, you have to tune down or take away some other voices. That is true of every voice. If we are in a room together and everyone starts talking, you may not hear me. One of the keys is to know and recognize the voices that exist and silence them. You will realize that as you quieten them down, you will start to hear the voice you need to hear.
Many kinds of voices confront us daily. Some of these voices include the voice of God, the voice of the mind, which is constantly influencing you, and the voice of the flesh which is also constantly speaking. To do well, you need to quieten certain dangerous voices. “Thus saith the Lord, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the Lord thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go. O that thou hadst hearkened to my commandments! then had thy peace been as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea. And they thirsted not when he led them through the deserts: he caused the waters to flow out of the rock for them: he clave the rock also, and the waters gushed out” (Isaiah 48:17-18). God is the one who actually teaches you to do well. It is not the devil, circumstances, the billionaires or philosophers of this world that teach you this. God is the one who leads you where you should go in this life. How will you be led and how will you prosper if you cannot hear the voice of God? Every other voice will lead you astray. That is why you must trust Him to lead you. When you follow the voice of God, He will cause miracles to happen in your life and make the impossible possible in your life. These are the great advantages of drowning out other voices. From today, choose to listen to God’s voice. Allow him to lead you and you will receive unending peace and righteousness. God is working wonders in your life today because you have yielded to His voice and not any other.
Today, I want to share with you about voices, especially the most important voice of all which is the voice of God. This teaching can also be found in my book “The Art of Hearing”.
“For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount. We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: (1 Peter 1:16-19).”
The voice of God is a very important subject because that is where all blessings begin. No matter who speaks, there is a prophesy that is surer which is the word of God. The word of God is not respected by Christians. Unless you use special clichés or phrases, people do not think that you are wise when you speak in accordance with the word of God. However, all these wise sayings are in the Bible but phrased in a different way. The Bible is advertising itself saying that we have a more sure word of prophecy. So, whatever you think will happen, the Bible is clearly predicting that it will come to pass. It says, “whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place” (1 Peter 1:19). When you take heed, it is like a man in a dark place who sees a light shining to show him how to maneuver. If you have ever been in a dark place where you can hurt yourself, you will be grateful for light. That is what the word of God is. The word of God is greater than anything I can ever say or any prophecy I can ever give. You need to be careful of being impressed with the prophecies you receive more than the word of God. The word of God will happen so correctly and exact that it is almost unbelievable. I want to encourage you to stay with the Bible. Believe and be impressed by God’s wisdom. Nobody is wiser above God himself.
All we need is the voice of God to guide us but there are many kinds of voices in this world. “There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification” (1 Corinthians 14:10). Every voice has an effect. If you joke with it, you will find yourself in grave danger. What are these voices?
- The voice of God
- The voice of your flesh. This is your emotions. Your flesh will resist any form of hardship you attempt to put it through.
- The voice of your mind. This is logic and reasoning. You cannot just follow reasoning
- The voice of the devil. You must know when the devil is speaking no matter who he is speaking through. Jesus was so in tune with the many types of voices that when Satan spoke through His main disciple Peter, He was able to recognize it. No matter how close people are to you, when you hear certain phrases, you must recognize and rebuke it.
- The voice of a prophet. “And by a prophet the Lord brought Israel out of Egypt, and by a prophet was he preserved” (Hosea 12:13).
- The voice of the Bible. The Bible has the voice of God’s words
- The voice of your friends. Friends are with you more than your pastor, parents or anybody else. So, they have greater influence on you. If you have the wrong kind of friend, you are doomed
- The voice of your parents. Those who fail to listen to the voice of their parents start to descend like an elevator in free fall. Your parents may not be the best according to your standards but I would advice you to listen to them.
- The voice of your spirit which is the inner man.
- The voice of your spouse. This is another strong voice that can influence you. You can sometimes find yourself in a bad situation because you listened to this voice.
- The voice of circumstances.
- The voice of your own will.
From today, receive grace to recognize the voice of God in your life!